When I was a little girl I loved to spend time with my Grandma, especially in the summer when school was out.
So many special memories of those days, sitting on her front porch just spending time together, taking the bus for a short ride to a grocery store, pulling with us her little rolling cart. Grandma would always let me pick out my favorite cookies to take back with us.
At breakfast she would give me my very own large cup of coffee, I am sure it was mostly milk, which didn’t matter, I loved it just the same.
I loved Grandma’s cups, and there was always a saucer.
That was the beginning of my love of coffee, which continues today.
Thank you Grandma, for the simple pleasure of a great cup of coffee.
There are many things that I could give up, even cookies, but giving up coffee would be very, very difficult.
My son and husband also love coffee. Some of our best just sitting down together times are with coffee.
We also love a little something sweet with our coffee, especially in the mornings.
Here is a simple recipe for “Banana Cream Cheese Bread with Cinnamon Crumb Topping”.
There are no nuts in this banana bread recipe as with most others. I am not crazy about nuts!
The cinnamon crumb topping adds a special touch.
It is so good, especially warmed with a little butter.
The recipe makes two loaves.
Ingredients for the Bread:
• 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks, 3/4 cup) butter, softened to room temperature
• 8 ounces cream cheese, light or regular, softened to room temperature
• 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
• 2 large eggs
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 3 large bananas)
• 3 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Ingredients for the Topping:
• 1 tablespoon butter
• 1 tablespoon flour
• 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two 8 1/2- by 4 1/2-inch loaf pans with cooking spray and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter, cream cheese and sugar until very light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Beat in the eggs, vanilla and bananas.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until combined.
4. In a small bowl, mash together the topping ingredients until combined and crumbly.
5. Divide the batter evenly among the prepared loaf pans. Sprinkle with the topping.
6. Bake for around 50 minutes until the bread is nicely domed and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
7. Remove from the oven and let rest in the pans for 5-10 minutes before turning out on a cooling rack to cool completely.
The bread is also great on the side with a salad for lunch.
Try it, I know you will like it. Good for using up those very ripe bananas.
Hope to see my Grandma again someday, I am sure there is coffee in heaven, also cookies, and banana bread.
Take a few minutes today to think about your favorite special times with your Grandma.
Simple blessings to all of you today.
Love your life! XOXO